Iklan

Quote of the Day: Stats? Records? Coco Gauff asks, “Who even ... - Tennis Magazine

WATCH: Coco Gauff defeats Mirra Andreeva in the 2023 Roland Garros third round

Coco Gauff emerged victorious from an all-teen matchup at Roland Garros, as the two youngest players in the women’s draw clashed on Saturday.

Gauff, 19, defeated Mirra Andreeva, 16, in three sets 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-1 to move into the fourth round. But while the rest of the tennis world was busy marveling about their ages, the two players involved were just focused on battling it out on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

“I don't know if Mirra feels the same way but people love to say, ‘You're only this, you're only that.’ When I'm on the court, we're not thinking about our age,” Gauff told press after the match.

“I don't think she was thinking, ‘Oh, I'm only 16 and she's 19, she's older…’ And at my age I wasn't thinking about that, I was just thinking about playing the ball.”

Q. As somebody who's been through it yourself, do you think we focus too much on age with young players? Always mentioning their age as they play matches and things like that?

COCO GAUFF: I'm gonna be honest: Yes (smiling).

I mean, it's great. I remember I saw a stat the other day, and they were, like, I have the most bagels by a teenager on tour.

It's cool, but it's just like… some of these stats, I don't know… Y'all be finding the smallest details! I'm like who keeps track of this stuff?

Of course Gauff, last year’s finalist in singles and doubles, knows a thing or two about setting and breaking age-related records. She’s been doing it since her big breakthrough as a 15-year-old at Wimbledon—the same age as Andreeva during her revelatory Madrid Open run earlier in the clay season.

But even with four years of experience on the WTA Tour, the ‘veteran’ 19-year-old says she’s in no rush to grow up:

“I'm making it seem like I'm 40 years old!” Gauff said, laughing. “I'm sure 20 years from now I'm going to be like, oh, I wish you guys would start bringing up my age again.”

Back into the fourth round at Roland Garros, No. 6 seed Gauff plays Anna Karolina Schmiedlova next.

Adblock test (Why?)

Labels: Quotes of the day

Thanks for reading Quote of the Day: Stats? Records? Coco Gauff asks, “Who even ... - Tennis Magazine. Please share...!

0 Comment for "Quote of the Day: Stats? Records? Coco Gauff asks, “Who even ... - Tennis Magazine"

Back To Top